Art and Design at Grove Road
At Grove Road we believe that teaching and learning in art is important because it stimulates children’s creativity and imagination and inventiveness. Art and design provides children with a unique way of responding to and developing further understanding of the world around them.
- express themselves visually.
- use their tactile and sensory experiences.
- work from imagination, memory and the environment.
- record observations from direct experiences.
- use art as a means of communication.
- discuss, convey or express their responses and feelings.
- enjoy creative activities.
- learn to make informed, value judgements, aesthetic and practical
Our key teaching objectives are to:
- provide children with the opportunity to use and experience a range of
2D and 3D materials.
- teach children basic art skills and techniques.
- teach children to care for, clean and store equipment carefully.
- give children the experience of visiting an art gallery, to increase their
enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts.
- encourage children to appreciate the work of other artists, crafts
people and designers.
- learn about the different role and functions of art, craft and design
in contemporary life, and in different times and cultures.
Wherever appropriate art and design is linked to other areas of the curriculum.
Through art and design we aim to extend and enrich other curriculum areas.